So, I can’t really believe I am doing this AGAIN, but I thought it was so funny to look at my absurd train of thought last night that I decided I would give myself a theme for this little activity. I guess I’m giving you a sneak peek at the wiring of my brain or something…feel honored.
Today’s theme (I will NOT be doing this every day. But my stomach is killing me and I can’t sleep so I’m doing it again, but 100 things is a lot of things…too many things)…
Oh yeah. Sorry. Today’s theme: HIGH SCHOOL MEMORIES
1. Oh my gosh why on earth did I pick such a topic?
2. I was too cool for school in high school. Well only some of the time.
3. I never really sluffed I just cut class tactfully, skillfully—it never hurt my grade.
4. I rarely ate lunch in high school. If I did it was after skipping my TA period and going to Great Harvest to buy a giant loaf of cinnamon bread and eat it Alladdin style—you know, where he just tears off little pieces as he pleases. Oh and yes, I did eat the entire thing.
5. I was obsessed with Riptide Rush Gatorade. I liked to freeze it and then pour water in as the frozen mass melted away. It just got slushier and more watery—it was fantastic.
6. I liked getting bruises in high school. I don’t really like to anymore because I never know where they come from. In high school my bruises were from volleyball and I liked to compare the size, intensity, and color of my bruises to those of my teammates. I usually won the competitions because I bruise easily.
7. Volleyball was my job in high school.
8. I had a hot body and a six-pack. My hair was down to my waist.
9. I didn’t wear makeup for the first year or two in high school. Only glitter on my eyelids. I was weird.
10. My favorite foods in high school were Marie Calendar’s chicken pot pie and cheese fries from Training Table. I ate like a horse and I still weighed 110 lbs because all I did was play volleyball.
11. I didn’t like chocolate in high school. No I’m serious.
12. I didn’t drink soda (for the most part) in high school, either.
13. I was way loud. Obnoxiously loud. Teachers and peers alike hated me…
14. Actually that’s not true. My coaches thought I was really loud but one of them was my geometry teacher and she was fascinated by my energy on the court and my shyness during class.
15. My volleyball coaches were some of my best friends.
16. Rachel and I were best friends throughout high school and still are today. Our parents never thought we’d make it this far (though we have ups and downs).
17. I absolutely love(d) chemistry. I took AP and got an “A” in the class and a “1” on the AP test. I know that doesn’t make sense, but my teacher told us it was the hardest AP test she had ever seen. Oh, and I didn’t go to study sessions because I was hanging out with my loser boyfriend.
18. I had a loser boyfriend in high school. Actually, I had a lot of them.
19. I was obsessed with “journaling” in high school. I think I have ten full journals.
20. I was good at art in high school but I didn’t take a class until my junior year (which was a joke).
21. The art program at my high school was a joke. I mean it was really, really lame.
22. Before I played volleyball I tried out for the soccer team. I loved playing soccer but I have always had really bad asthma and those two things just didn’t mix. I had to leave the first day of tryouts because I had my first serious asthma attack on the field. The fact that it was the worst air pollution in fifty years didn’t help either. I didn’t make it.
23. I never had a crush on a senior boy when I was a freshman. To be honest I never really had crushes.
24. I was never in my life planning to ever attend BYU. EVER. I was going to the U and I was going to be an architect. I am eternally grateful I got out of the high school scene when I did.
25. I used to skip my art class all the time, but, skillfully of course. I would ask if I could leave and Mr. Thulin would tell me that I could go as long as I picked up “x”, “y”, or “z” for him. Then he would drop a five dollar bill on my desk and mark me “present”.
26. My first dance in high school was one of the funniest experiences of my life. I got picked up by a boy that I didn’t get along with (AT ALL—I never figured out why he asked me), and he was wearing a red polyester suit with bellbottoms. I almost wore a red dress. It could have been a true disaster.
27. All of the dances I attended in high school were with pretty random people. I went to three dances with people that I was “dating”…two of them were with the same guy.
28. Junior prom of my senior year was one of the most memorable nights of my life for multiple reasons.
29. In high school I was infamous for receiving bad citizenship marks at midterm and pulling off an “H” on my report card.
30. No one really told me that citizenship marks didn’t matter.
31. I was (and still am) a perfectionist.
32. My young women’s leaders used to cry every time they saw me and Rachel together because they knew that we were going to cause trouble.
33. Rachel and I got in trouble at every camp we ever went to together…and pretty much every activity, too.
34. Something about getting in trouble was really thrilling to me.
35. I was friends with all boys (except Rachel) in high school until my senior year, and even then I really only had a few “girl friends”.
36. I regularly skipped AP study sessions (English) to go to 7-11 or to soccer games. Katie Jensen and I wrote notes back and forth endlessly. Miss Lake couldn't stand us.
37. My brother Tyler and I were very close in high school.
38. My brother David and I…well we didn’t exactly get along for a while there.
39. Natalie and I DEFINITELY didn’t get along in high school, although she was in love with my boyfriend at one point.
40. In high school people called me “Wongan” because I hung out with “Tongans” a lot. That means “white” Tongan. I can’t help it they are part of one of the most amazing cultures ever. Besides my volleyball coach and 80% of my team was Tongan.
41. The most important growth spurt of my life happened when I was a senior.
42. I saw and learned more as a Madrigal than I have doing anything else in my life. I loved being a Madrigal.
43. Miss Applegate didn’t like me as much as she liked my brothers.
44. “I was so not like Tyler” in high school.
45. My brothers were really hard and good examples to follow. I don't think I will ever measure up.
46. Senior soccer season took place over some of the best months of my life.
47. I had Strep all the time in high school. I was also sick A LOT. I got my tonsils out between my junior and senior year and it was absolutely the worst experience of my life. I still have nightmares that my tonsils grow back and I have to get them re-removed.
48. My junior season of volleyball was my best season—I started varsity (I did as a senior, too)—and I kicked older girls off the team. I don’t care if it was mean. I worked my tail off.
49. When I decided I wanted something, I did anything I had to in order to get it.
50. East high ‘till I die.